Sunday, January 1, 2012

Oupa in Perth CBD

As with most big cities, it is nice to visit it once in a while, but after every visit you think "..don't need to go there for another 6-12 months..". Perhaps it's just me, but all the people and the business of it all is not for me. Give me a tent in the bush in the Aussie Outback and I'll be happy as Larry.

Anyway, we took my dad into the city yesterday just to experience it. We took the train and then discovered that the Perth Underground Station was closed! We got off at Esplanade and had to walk into the city. Hit was warm (31) and humid and I was pushing Eugene in the pram and lugging my 40D along (as you do).

Outside the Perth Underground station.

Oupa, Karin and the kids with the Perth CBD in the background.

The old Commonwealth Bank of Australia building, which is now home to City Beach, a surf-wear shop.

Doing the obligatory souvernir shopping...

Kangaroo paw back-scratcher; expensive at $45!

Watching the clock-tower display at the Ye Olde English shopping mall.

...and looking at all the shops inside it...

My dad now knows that the famous WA cork-string hats do in fact work and have a use here, haha!

Dad waiting for a bus in the CBD...


...or Burger King as it is called in New Zealand. Just check out the make-up on the bloke in red pants.
Eugene is out-for-the-count too.

Waiting for the Mandurah bound train, which will stop at the Bull Creek Station, where we were parked.

On the way home...

A couple of  hours later we went down to Freo (South Mole) and my dad had a
chance to almost catch some fish, haha! Some decent bites, so we will head back this evening.
The apricot-red glow in the distance is the remnant of the last sunset of 2011.

...and it was a little windy down there too!